Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I wish you a merry Jew Christmas.


When mentioning our Xmas tree I inevitably get asked: "But aren’t you Jewish?" To which I respond with an awkward, stuttered, elaborate explanation that my kids’ grandparents are Christian so my husband and I try to give them both cultures. But the truth is I want the tree. I relish in the tinsel, cherish the cherubs and luxuriate in all the shiny, sparking ornaments. Plug it in, light it up and I glow with pure, gleeful, unadulterated pleasure.

Growing up strictly Jewish I used to get physical pangs when watching shows that featured a Xmas tree. It looked so wonderful. Happy families around a fireplace, singing songs around this gleaming tree, aglow in glitz. And what did we get? Some crappy dreidel, chocolate money and poached fish. It sucked. I felt hard done by. Surely if we were the chosen people we’d get the better holiday?

So when the opportunity came to marry a non-Jew, a true yok with bona-fide Christian parents, I jumped at the opportunity. What a win. I could keep all of my beliefs, my kids would still be Jewish but happy, joyous days I could get the tree, and the presents, and the latest old-timer, cobweb-dusted singer with a Xmas hits album. I could have it all and eat my kneidlach too.

So we have a big tree, all the songs, all the smaltz I missed out on. And yes my grandparents are probably turning in their Jewish graves. But ag, eh, you know, I do it for the kids.

3 comments:

  1. I love being in a "both" family too. When I was a kid, the thing I longed for was Christmas Lights on the outside of our house. I begged and begged for my parents to put up the blue ones, at least! But no.

    Of course, this year we're out of town for the holdiays so Jason didn't want to bother with the lights. We do have a tree, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog and loved it. Couldn't resist commenting on this one. I totally share your sentiments about a tree. Having been raised in Russia, even though a Jew, I used to have a tree every single year for New Year celebration. Back then and there nobody celebrated any religious holidays. So in my mind, the tree is associated with happy family gatherings, tons of food and great presents. That's why nowadays, when I sense a tree I get this warm and fuzzy feeling remembering my childhood and fun times.
    My kids always declare how wonderful it would be if one of their parents were Christian so they could have it all, a beautiful tree and Hanukkah money... Well, my husband is an Israeli, so no such luck!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p9TE8dRPX0&feature=email
    Inna

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cuz -
    garth and his wife and kids moved in to my parents' place while their new house gets an extreme home makeover. Conveniently, his shiksa wife brought a tree! I think my parents rather enjoyed it... And hopefully my own yok and I will be doing the same some day - but I think I at least want some dreidel ornaments!

    ReplyDelete