Saturday, November 7, 2009

Running with the lambs


Last night I declined a glass of wine. True story. I signed up for the 2010 NYC Marathon without any concern or consideration for my booze habit. And it hates me now. The problem with signing up for a marathon is that you actually have to train for it. And training means getting up and going for a run even when you've been out the night before. I did not know this. Why didn't anyone tell me?

But now I'm committed. My friends are most upset. I understand. I would be if one of them refused a drink from me. Moderate to raging alcoholic mums are like that.

I've also purchased the Nike Sportband. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I assume once it does I'll be able to run longer, faster and harder. On my list of Ways to spend money because I signed up for a marathon and they have so much nifty stuff, is new running gear. I run in tiny little shorts a woman my age has no right owning let alone training in. I am very attached to my shorts though. I love to feel the Hudson breeze (that's what I'm calling it, scientists are not so sure) up my legs as I run. It's like running naked, but New Yorkers look at me funny in the shorts.

I'll keep y'all updated on my running progress. So far I'm up to 5 miles which, in the scheme of a marathon, is 2 pieces of Nigiri sushi for dinner when you want steak. Sigh. Off for a run.

1 comment:

  1. oooh i've got that nike sports band thingy. it's very cool. even a laggard like me can figure it out. and it defs makes you want to run more, just so you can fiddle with your gadget. oh wait, that sounds bad.

    ReplyDelete